Welcome to my classroom!
1st Period: 8:37-9:32
2nd Period: 9:36-10:31 (Conference)
3rd Period: 10:35-11:30
4th Period: 11:34-12:29
5th Period: 1:07-2:02
6th Period: 2:06-3:01
7th Period: 3:05-4:00
"Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past" - George Orwell
Social Studies 8th grade:
U.S History Syllabus
Mr. Joe Loera
Resaca Middle School, Room #45
Textbooks and Materials:
- Textbook: United States History to 1877, McGraw Hill
- 8th Grade Social Studies STAAR practice material (McGraw Hill Workbook, Jarrett, STAAR Master)
- Project Learning and Living History Grant Resources
- State Bar of Texas Law Related Education Resources
- Various On-line resources which include but are not limited to Goggle Docs, Moodle, and educational twitter feeds.
- 1 inch 3 ring binder (could be either the hard or soft cover kind)
- Loose-leaf notebook paper for binder
- 2 spiral notebooks (one for warm-ups & one for notes) minimum of 70 pages
- Black pens & Pencils
- Map colors
Course Goals: The learner will:
- Show mastery and understanding of historical and political information about the U.S.
- Build a foundation on U.S. history, geography, economics, government, citizenship, culture, science and technology, and social studies skills.
- Learn how to use primary resources, secondary resources, maps, charts, globes, and graphs to find, evaluate and analyze information.
- Gain a better understanding of the country that they live their lives in.
- Prepare for the 8th Grade Social Studies STAAR Exam
Course Description: This course introduces the student to the history of the United States from the Colonial Era to the American Civil War. The course is divided into three main areas: history, geography, and government. The history section covers the political, economic, and social history of the United States from the establishment of the 13 colonies to the Post-Civil War Era. The focus in each era is on key individuals, events, and issues as well as how they impacted our nation’s history. The geography section includes U.S. Geography and discusses regions, maps, charts, and graph skills. The government section includes topics in citizenship skills and the structure and functions of U.S. government along with state and local governments. There will be a special emphasis on learning the ways the U.S. Government functions and carries out its duties. Students will also learn how to interpret primary sources such as documentary material, maps, statistical tables, and pictorial and graphic evidence of historical events.
Course Pre-requisite: Social Studies 7th
General Course Expectations:
- Students are expected to turn in all work on time.Late work will be penalized at the teacher’s discretion.
- Students are to be honest about their work.No cheating or copying will be tolerated and will result in a failing grade in the assignment.
- All material will be brought to class every day.Students may leave materials with the teacher.The teacher is not responsible for lost materials.
- After school tutorials and Saturday Academies will be offered at certain times.Students are encouraged to take advantage of these extra opportunities.
- LFCISD grading policy will be followed at all times. (40% daily & 60% tests)
- Students will be given opportunities for re-testing and make-up assignments.They must take advantage of the opportunities in order to receive credit.
- Pre-AP Students will adhere to the Pre-AP contract guidelines.
- Students are to behave in a respectable manner at all times
- Students are to show respect to everyone.Bullying and insubordination will not be tolerated!
- Students are to come prepared with all class materials
- Students will ask for permission to leave the class and will only do so with a hall pass.
- Students will respect the school’s and teacher’s property. Ex. Desks and text books, etc….
- Violations will be dealt with in accordance with LFCISD and Resaca MS policy.
If there are ever any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me during my conference period. Thank you!
Resaca Middle School Phone # 254-5159 (leave message)
Conference Period: 2nd Period 9:36 a.m. to 10:31 a.m.
E-mail Address: email@example.com